About the Friends of the Albert Carlton-Cashiers Community Library
- committed to help fund and improve the Library and its services to the public
- a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) membership organization started in 1995
- members share a common vision of a superior free public library accessible by all
- funds virtually all of the library's books, electronic media (DVDs, CDs, computer programs), periodicals and other materials, as well as programs
- your donation to the Friends is tax deductible
History of the Library
The Albert Carlton-Cashiers Community Library opened its doors on July 22, 1994. Building the library was a community endeavor, with residents making nearly 1,000 financial contributions totaling $250,000, and the State of North Carolina and Jackson County Government each contributing $200,000 to build the library on land donated by the Albert Carlton family. When it opened, the library boasted 6,400 square feet but is over double that size today after multiple expansions. The library is named for Albert Carlton.
Our Larger Library Community
More about Fontana Regional Library System and the United For Libraries (the national Friends of the Library network).